US strikes in Iraq despite IS threat US aircraft have launched fresh strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in northern Iraq, despite threats from the group to kill a second American captive in retribution for continued attacks. US Navy fighters and drones provided air cover to Kurdish and Iraqi forces battling IS near the city of Mosul. On Tuesday the group released a video showing the beheading of journalist James Foley, who went missing in 2012. In it, the militants threatened to kill another US reporter they are holding. But since the video was released, American forces have conducted 14 new strikes near the Mosul dam, a key facility recaptured from IS militants earlier this week. The raids provided air cover as Kurdish and Iraqi forces pushed into the hills south-west of the site, Kurdish sources said. US officials said they had successfully eliminated vehicles and other targets belonging to IS. The US has been carrying out strikes against IS - which has been seizing large parts of Syria and Iraq - since 8 August. BBC